The big announcement this year was that Salesforce has officially recognized the Education Cloud. This goes a long way to unify around student success and educational needs.
As well, two existing offerings have matured to become very useful.
Salesforce Developer Experience (DX) is a way to manage and develop apps on the Lightning Platform across their entire life cycle. It brings together the best of the Lightning Platform to enable source-driven development, team collaboration with governance, and new levels of agility for custom app development on Salesforce.
- Your tools, use the developer tools you already know.
- The ability to apply best practices to software development. Source code and metadata exist outside of the org and provide more agility to develop Salesforce apps in a team environment. Instead of the org, your version control system is the source of truth.
- A powerful command-line interface (CLI) removes the complexity of working with your Salesforce org for development, continuous integration, and delivery.
- Flexible and configurable scratch orgs that you build for development and automated environments. This new type of org makes it easier to build your apps and packages.
- You can use any IDE or text editor you want with the CLI and externalized source.
- If you are using Eclipse, an updated Eclipse IDE plug-in built specifically for Salesforce DX accelerates app development.
Salesforce Connect is the fastest way to integrate external data sources to your apps, giving you a whole new way to securely connect your back-office, your clouds, and your Salesforce instances. This is a real-time connection only. No actual data from our systems are every stored within Salesforce.
External objects are similar to custom objects, except that they map to data that’s stored outside your Salesforce org. Each external object relies on an external data source definition to connect with the external system’s data. Each external object definition maps to a data table on the external system.
Power of Us Hub is a resource and community to find answers. If you use Salesforce and haven’t joined yet, do it now.
Trailhead is a Salesforce training system that let’s you earn badges while learning about various parts of the Salesforce ecosystem.